Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Teachers' Guidelines

It seems these days that everyone expects there will be teachers' guidelines available for books that are used in the classroom. It's a fairly new concept for me, but one I don't mind providing. I think someone who has been a teacher has a definite advantage here. I never have been.

Nonetheless, I enjoy preparing handouts to offer the teachers when I do school visits. I call them "Activity Sheets". They are one page sheets with suggestions for continuing the discussion, once the students return to their classrooms.

The handouts usually include a number of questions based on the story, some ideas for class discussion, some vocabulary, a creative writing exercise and the opportunity for further research for those who might enjoy it. I try to keep it interesting. If I were a kid reading the book for the first time, what more would I want to know?

Till next time,
Peggy

No comments: