Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Writing Autobiography

I've learned over the years that much of what I write involves my own personal experiences. I was taking a writing course when I began to develop a file that I called "Autobiographical Pieces." It now includes several chapters about my life experiences.

The pieces were not written in chronological order, but I've sorted them so that the file reads that way. Sometimes, when I needed something to work on, I'd add another chapter to the growing file. One memory would often trigger another.

In the same way as I occasionally browse my notebooks for story ideas, I'll read a couple of chapters in my "Autobiographical Pieces" file. Currently, I'm working on a short story for children that sprang directly from an incident in my own life.

No comments: