Saturday, June 27, 2009

Summertime Writing

I find it especially hard in the summertime to maintain a regular schedule of daily writing. There are so many distractions--invitations from family and friends for weekend gatherings, a strawberry social, a concert in the park, a reunion picnic.

At home, the outdoors calls me to come and enjoy it while the weather is good. I should weed the garden, finish painting the lawn furniture. But I'd rather sit in the shade with a good book, a cup of coffee or a cool drink, and a light breeze to keep the Southern Ontario humidity at bay.

As I stretch out on the chaise longue, I remind myself that writers are people who read. And just this morning I printed off the first chapter of the first draft of my new novel, so that I could take it outside with me.

At this time of year, it's all good.

No comments: